Every time I speak and talk to determined people who really want to pick up a career in writing, I am always faced with a question.
“Okay, how do I start?”
I will be frank with you; if you wish to wake up one morning and earn about $1000 straight up as a new freelance writer, then this article is not for you. I have come up with these steps, for people who wish to build their portfolio and grow with it. In this article, I will guide you on the 3 steps to starting your freelance writing career.
- Build your skills: The first step to starting your freelance writing career is to build your skills. “Oh yea, I can write. I have written this, that and that.” This statement is very common with people who feel that you are giving them an extra burden, by asking them to go for more training. You need top-notch skills to earn a lot as a freelance writer. So taking time to build these skills will be of great help to you.
The best way to build your writing skill is by writing and reading all the time. Like I said in BECOMING A GUEST WRITER; you can take out time to write for local magazines, a friend’s blog or post articles on forums. Doing all these will attract both criticism and commendations. As a good writer, you will focus on the criticism and work on it and build on your commendations. Take time to go behind the scene, take lessons, learn new words, and master the art of writing. Building your skills is the very first way to kick-start your writing career. I have explained more of these on 12 WAYS TO IMPROVE YOUR WRITING SKILLS and 5 SKILLS TO WORK AS AN UPCOMING WRITER.
- Build your brand: Building your brand is the second important factor to consider in starting your freelance writing career. You are becoming known. You are widening your reach. Ever since you started guest posting, creating articles on forums or writing for various blogs, you are now becoming popular. Next is to leverage on your popularity and build your brand.
Will you be known as a writer instructor? Fiction writer or proofreader or content writer with great SEO knowledge or a super non-fiction writer, now is the time to build a brand. Building your brand simply means “building, engaging or creating relationship with your audience.” They become your friends and you become theirs.
No writer will be known without an audience; and they are in fact, one of the most important tools you need to achieve success as a writer.
- Build your Business: Building the business is the final step in your freelance writing career. For you to reap the rewards and gains of writing, you will see it as your business empire. Gone are the days when we writers wrote to entertain. In today’s market place, we write to entertain and earn from entertaining. There are three important people to focus on in building your writing business.
These people are instrumental in establishing your writing career. Friends and fans are easy to win over but patrons require lots of work to win over. Patrons are just like mentors who will guide you on every step you take. You should be able to prove to them that you are a teachable material. They give you inspirations, guidance and help.
As we end this article, there are three things you should bear in mind.
- Grow as a writer
- Serve the needs of your fans, friends and patrons
- Don’t worry about being the best, just keep writing.
Thanks. If you found this article useful, please let me know by using the comment box below.